june 2016 finds is what i managed to sneak in in-between bouts of work and writing.
1.tuttle publishing sent me a very cool book called japanese tattoos: history * culture * design. i read it so i am now informed about the history, the tattoo artists, the demons and the bodysuits.
i had heard about the dermatologist who collected tattooed skin removed from people after death. and i found out now that the 105 hides are housed in a tokyoite museum, but unfortunately the collection is not available to be visited.
i don’t have any ink and i don’t plan on getting any. still, this book was super interesting and full of great pictures. check it out!
2. high-rise by j.g. ballard. ballard’s work is marked by the fact that he spent his young years in shanghai, under japanese occupation. so high-rise, like many other of his novels, has one key concept: the ease with which humans give up their civilization as soon as the going gets rough. yes, essentially, it’s a bit like lord of the flies. i enjoyed it!
3. dark inspiration II is a victionary collection of rather macabre illustrations by cool new artists. two of my good friends are featured: aitch and saddo. you must check this out if you’re into great creepy art!
4. i’ve been looping lana del rey this month and i fixated on two songs. radio is on the born to die album.
5. but i liked the unreleased serial killer just as much.
6. back in february, i bought a geisha book to practice my spanish in a fun way. actually, i bought two geisha books but i’ve only read one so far. if you are even remotely interested in the topic, you must read geisha – los secretos del mundo flotante. you will get all the details about the history, the tradition and the secrecy around this line of work: fabulous!
in the pic below,the book is in the right corner.
7. i took a day trip to busteni and it proved to be a great idea. check out the dedicated post here.
8. i spent my birthday in brasov and i’m planning to post about that soon. the cover photo is from my actual birthday lunch!
i’ve been busy this month so far and tomorrow i’m going away for a week. to see what i’m doing at the seaside, check my instagram!
photo credits: little aesthete
video credits: copyright holders