i used to love kristen mcmenamy’s otherness in the nineties, when all the super models were pretty and proper and i barely liked any of them. but she was interesting. i recently found her picture many times among my huge stacks of pages ripped from magazines i threw out. she disappeared for quite some time, period during which i only saw her (picture) in vienna, when juergen teller had a show with portraits. you may know this one.
she’s 46 now and has been making a come back for quite a while now and what better way to celebrate it than review her career?
– click here for the most important events in the 26 years she spent posing.
– vogue paris presents her in 50 looks.
– do you remember that famous viktor&rolf performance on the catwalk? the designers themselves were undressing kristen (who was actually wearing the entire collection) layer by layer, and putting whatever they were taking off on the walking models. interesting to watch.
– on models.com, she ranks 7 on the icons top
– last summer, she was featured in vogue italia, in the very controversial editorial by steven meisel that commented on the catastrophic impact of the oil spill
i’m glad to see that fashion has given up (at least for now) on being ageist. probably the powers to be realized that older women have more important financial leverage and it’s harder to lure them into buying using fresh faced 15-year olds from ukraine 🙂
photo credits: steven meisel for vogue (the shoot was called “grunge and glory”, 1993)