you’re wondering what to do this weekend? here’s my selection:
* a cool caricature show (15.09-1.10) matty in the workshop at saint ink (3 doamnei street). matty aslan‘s drawings are part of the collective subconscious of the people who lived in romania during communist times – for 17 years, he did a cartoon a day for romania libera, the most important newspaper back then: i remember going through the pages to find his strip 🙂 and i believe he deserves the recognition of the kids as well. the drawings are donated by the artist’s wife and the exhibition is under the umbrella of the comics museum (which has exactly one month left…).
* in the same vein, we have a date with both mr. branea and mr. ciubotariu aka pisica patrata! the opening of the I don’t have time! show is today at 7:30 pm at the h’art gallery on 25 C.A. Rosetti, 5th floor. sounds interesting!
* austrian film days (19-22.09, 18h and 20 h) – they are showing 4 of the most successful austrian productions
* undoubtedly, the highlight of this weekend is the re-opening of a much loved bucharest venue: antipa, the museum of natural history. everybody wants to see the result of the 14-million euro facelift that took 2 years. the impatient can see the virtual tour (i wanted to say nice touch, but it’s not working…actually the whole website looks like it could use a major update) and the old school types will go on biting their nails in anticipation!
there are new rules and prices: no photographs to be taken indoors (i hate this! and they are charging professional picture taking with 1,000 ron and filming with 2,000 – somebody is in a lot of hurry to get back that investment!), the full price is 20 ron, the audioguide and the discounted price is 10 ron and kids pay 5 ron.
Expect 2,000 items (37 of them are newly purchased), a 17-meter diorama, a 20-meter artificial cave, 66 infotouch desks, 3d screenings, etc. and the lucky few who had the opportunity to see the museum already say it’s really worth it and that it is up to international level. i will probably skip on the crowd bath and do it some other day but i’ll certainly not miss this one!
* today is parking day – a world-wide event that temporarily transforms metered parking areas into public parks for us to enjoy. bucharest will do two areas: the parking next to the unirii multi-store and the vast parking area next to the baneasa mall. more info here.
* i’ll also be attending a thing in my park: it is a 2-part mini-fest – i went there the first time, two weeks ago, and i’ll go tomorrow too. they have many nice workshops but i’m going for the origami and to get my interview taken, in my capacity of local. it’s still hot so why not get to know your cooler neighbours while chilling out?
* the tineretului skate park is hosting (17-18.09) a big urban culture and extreme sports fest, street heroes. expect lots of extreme stuff, music, food, etc + concerts from several hip hop heavy weights, roa, etc. free entry if you get there before 2 pm. if you’re late, u need to pay 15 ron. click here for the full program!
* and last but certainly not least: tonight, a huuuge event aka the white night of romanian films. it’s huge and it involves some of the biggest cities in romania: bucharest (check program), cluj, iasi and timisoara. entry is free so bring your friends! there is a party with a couple of gigs in fabrica, 20 ron at the door, 15 ron if u managed to get your hands on the special flyer!
* and one more event which will actually take place next weekend: ligia pop, the raw foodist guru is organizing the raw vegan autumn fair at rin grand hotel (25.09, 10-20 h). i’m no vegan or raw foodist but i’m a part time foodie who would love to try out some healthy goodies!
have fun and a nice weekend!